The purpose of the Applied Imagery Pattern Recognition (AIPR) annual workshops is to bring together researchers from government, industry, and academia in an elegant setting conducive to technical interchange across a broad range of disciplines. The papers span a range of topics, from research to fielded systems and provide to scientists, developers, and managers alike, a broad vision of the applicability of image analysis and machine learning technologies.
AIPR continues the half-century of success and tradition in pioneering new topics in applied image and visual understanding. The current worldwide pandemic focuses our collective attention on artificial intelligence (AI) in medicine and biomedicine to improve healthcare. Healthcare systems around the world are being challenged and experiencing a large influx of patients requiring intensive monitoring. Researchers are working on near-term and long-term projects to bring relief to clinical providers with enhanced automation capability to assist in patient monitoring, rapid diagnosis, and drug discovery. Large medical databases are offering new opportunities to accelerate the adoption of AI and improve medical outcomes. The 2021 IEEE AIPR Workshop will explore artificial intelligence in medicine, healthcare, and neuroscience.
In addition to papers on regular AIPR topics in applied imagery, the Workshop Committee invites papers that address all aspects of medical and biomedical AI, development of novel tools, methodologies, algorithms, theory, and mechanisms for biomedicine, healthcare, and neuroscience. Theme topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
- AI-based medical imaging for COVID-19 detection, outcome prediction, or monitoring
- Deep learning and AI for medicine, computer aided diagnosis, biology, drug discovery
- Medical image classification, segmentation, and registration
- Connectomics, brain imaging, fMRI, neural circuitry, neuropathologies
- Multiscale biological and biomedical signal and image analysis
- Deep neural networks for pathology, radiology, and microscopy
- Robotics technologies for medical and biomedical applications
- Biomedical analysis for clinical imaging and informatics
- Data mining and image retrieval for biomedical imagery
- Personalized healthcare, electronic health records, translational and precision medicine
- Geospatial epidemiology and healthcare
- Pattern recognition for early identification of viral contagions
- Patient monitoring, wearable devices, and multi-sensor multimodal diagnostics
- Regional healthcare lessons learned in pandemics
- Advances in statistical image processing
- Novel uses of differentiable programming in developing AI systems
- Ubiquitous sensors and their impact on biomedical measurements
- Conducting medical imaging science with urgency
Special session on 50 years of AIPR: What’s Past is Prologue – Historical review, Notable papers & trends
Deadline for abstracts: 15 August 2021. The Workshop will include oral and poster presentations, several keynote talks that provide in-depth overviews of the fields, and a special session. Written papers will be required (due after the workshop) and will be indexed in IEEEXplore. AIPR 2021, the 50th annual workshop, is sponsored by the IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, and organized by the AIPR Workshop Committee with generous support from sponsors. Updates and additional information can be found at www.aipr-workshop.org.
AIPR 2021 Conference Chairs: Travis Axtell (Ball Aerospace) and Josh Harguess (Mitre)